Facultative Corporate and Commercial Underwriter in Gauteng
R 1.800.000,00 monthly
City of Tshwane, Gauteng
Position: Facultative Corporate and Commercial Underwriter
Salary: R 1,800 000 – R 2,200 000 annually negotiable
The company is looking to appoint an Underwriter to assume a supporting role to the Chief Underwriting Officer in all areas of Corporate and commercial reinsurance business. For the right candidate this role could lead to Chief Underwriting Officer in the short to medium term.
You will act as a facultative underwriter for The company, a Reinsurance company based in central London, writing business emanating from qualified cedents on the African continent. You will work within agreed mandates and limitations to achieve sustainable, profitable targets and place a strong emphasis on service. Your role will see you acting as an underwriter across a range of commercial and corporate areas including Property, Engineering and Casualty lines of business etc. while using your client facing market presence to engage with brokers, risk managers, international insurers and reinsurers on a worldwide basis.
Your role will see you as the referral point for the business development team on technical issues and pricing, you will also be responsible for training, coaching and developing colleagues and clients on technical and development matters.
The basic package will be negotiable and competitive which is negotiable depending upon experience, with the future provision for a generous bonus structure that centers on service performance and profitability. A generous health, pension and travel insurance package is also included. The role has positive career prospects beyond pure underwriting and the role is considered to lead in the short to medium term to that of Chief Underwriting Officer.
The Successful Applicant
You will be an experienced commercial and corporate underwriter who can demonstrate a strong technical knowledge as well as strong interpersonal and communication skills when trading with markets and coaching colleagues across various territories and cultures.
Strong corporate governance and international best practice compliance are an essential factor in the appointment.
You will require the ability to show leadership skills as well as work as part of a team comprising goal oriented, ambitious, and dedicated professionals.
• Relevant market experience of a minimum of 5-10 years is a requirement.
• Candidates applying for this position need to be disciplined, presentable, self-motivated, possess a highly analytical mind and strong time management skills.
• Negotiating and pricing facultative underwriting risks
• Renewal of business
• Negotiate renewals with Brokers / Clients / Reinsurers
• Raising debits and credits
• Assist with Credit Control
• Liaison / negotiation with Reinsurers on Facultative business and obtaining quotations and placement of Retro - Reinsurance.
• Liaison with Brokers / Clients
• Requesting and implementing and monitoring of surveys
• Rating and structuring of multi- territory and / or global clients accounts
• Ensure accuracy of outgoing documentation, contract certainty and company best practice standards are adhered to.
• Facilitating the timeous renewal of policies.
• Liaising and building relationships with Brokers / Clients.
• Liaising with and assisting the regional client relationship managers with queries on all facultative and technical underwriting issues.
• Facilitate and assist with queries from the Underwriting, Claims, Marketing and accounts departments.
• Develop, implement and monitor administration processes to ensure efficient quote and contract administration.
• Monitoring and Assisting with commission payments to Brokers and agents.
• Monitoring and Assisting with all outgoing re-insurance payments.
• Responsible for monthly reporting on underwriting performance, budgets, Loss ratios and the like to the Executive Committee management meetings.
Please send an updated CV, Portfolio and most recent payslip to
Fax: 086 602 2008